Change Text Size: A A A

Purchase Service Credit

Service credit is one factor that determines what your TRSL benefit will be. Purchasing service credit can increase your retirement benefit or enable you to retire sooner.

Active TRSL members can purchase credit for the service listed below: 

  • Refunded service credit
  • Sabbatical leave
  • Legal leaves of absence (such as maternity leave or leave without pay)
  • Involuntary furlough or strike
  • Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA)
  • Military service credit not under USERRA
  • National guard, coast guard, and reserve forces
  • Out-of-state public school, in-state private school, non-TRSL participating charter school, or U.S. military base teaching service
  • Other service credit eligible for purchase

What you need to know

  • You can purchase service credit only for periods of time for which you do not already have TRSL service credit.
  • You can purchase up to one year of TRSL service credit for any one fiscal year.
  • All years must be certified by employers before a cost can be calculated.
  • Payments for purchases of any service credit must be made in one lump sum or by a rollover of funds (excluding military purchases and USERRA, which have the option to pay via installments not to exceed 36 months).
  • Special provisions apply for each of the various types of service credit available for purchase.

Actuarial cost
For all purchases, except refunded service credit and USERRA service credit, members will need to submit a nonrefundable calculation fee of $150 for TRSL’s actuary. This fee may be paid by personal check, cashier’s check, certified check, or money order made payable to "Teachers' Retirement System of Louisiana" and should accompany the application.

For more information on purchasing service credit, including details regarding transfers or reciprocal recognition of service credit, please see TRSL’s handbook, Purchases and Transfers of Service Credit.

Forms for purchasing service credit

  Application for Reciprocal Recognition of Service (Form 8)
  Application for Transfer of Creditable Service (Form 8A)
  Application for Purchase of Refunded Service to Reciprocate (Form 8BR)
  Application for Purchase of Refunded Service to Transfer (Form 8BT)
  Application for Purchase of In-state Service (Form 9)
  Application for Purchase of Out-of-state Public School Employment (Form 9A)
  Application for Purchase of Military Service (Form 9B)
  Application for Purchase of U.S. Dependent School Teaching Service (Form 9C)
  Application for Purchase of Refunded Service (Form 9D)
  Application for Purchase of In-state Private / Charter School Service (Form 9E)
  Rollover/Trustee-to-Trustee Transfer Acceptance (Form 9R)