Regular Session News #2: Coming up next week
Apr 21, 2017
Both the Senate and House retirement committees are meeting next week to discuss a number of bills affecting TRSL.
The Senate retirement committee is scheduled for 10 a.m., Monday, April 24. The following bills are on the agenda and scheduled to be heard:
- SB 11 (Sen. Peacock) would transfer governance of the Louisiana School Employees’ Retirement System (LSERS) to the TRSL Board of Trustees.
- SB 8 (Sen. Peacock) would provide for the correction of membership and enrollment errors in the public retirement systems.
- SCR 22 (Sen. Mizell) would ask Congress to consider eliminating the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and the Government Pension Offset (GPO) Social Security benefit reductions.
- SR 39 (Sen. Milkovich) would direct the state retirement systems to provide additional information in quarterly comprehensive investment reports to the Senate retirement committee.
The House retirement committee is scheduled for 9 a.m., Thursday, April 27. The tentative schedule includes the following bills affecting TRSL:
- HB 4 (Rep. Miguez) would add school nurse to the list of retirees who can return to work and continue to receive a benefit check, subject to a 25% earnings limitation.
- HB 31 (Rep. Hoffmann) would add school psychologists to the list of critical shortage positions in which a retiree can return to work without a reduction of benefits.
- HB 33 (Rep. Pearson), upon adjournment of the 2020 Regular Legislative Session,would make the chair of the House retirement committee an ex officio member of each state and statewide retirement system board, replacing the Speaker-appointed House retirement committee member. The bill also makes certain technical changes and clarifications regarding the ex-officio status of such legislators and legislative staff duties and rights.
TUNE IN & WATCH LIVE: You can watch live retirement committee meetings online at www.legis.la.gov. Click on the TV icon for any meeting in progress that you'd like to view. Archived broadcasts are available here.